Find a Doctor
1 Criteria Search
- Is a minimally invasive surgical procedure done in the office to remove damaged veins under the surface of skin. Incisions are small and usually heal without visible scars. Sutures are not needed. Patients are able to walk immediately after the treatment. They are expected to use a compression stocking for two weeks.
Compressive therapy with medical stockings
- Compressive stockings improve the signs and symptoms of various conditions of venous disease by providing graduated compression therapy to help control leg swelling and discomfort.
Endovenous laser ablation
- The endovenous laser is a procedure performed in the doctor’s office under local anesthesia. The procedure consists of introducing a catheter connected to a laser source into the vein through a very small incision. As the catheter is slowly withdrawn, the laser energy is applied and produces an irritation and consequently a collapse of the varicose vein. Another similar procedure has been developed recently, the radiofrequency occlusion. This procedure is identical to the endovenous but instead of laser energy they use ‘radiofrequency’ energy. After the treatment patients are able to walk immediately. Patients are expected to use a compression stocking for two weeks.
Laser treatment (intense light beam)
- Is gaining more applications in the field of varicose veins. Until recently, laser treatment was limited only to a few patients who had very small spider veins but recent technological advances have allowed lasers to be used in the treatment of large varicosities.
- This procedure consists of injecting an agent or medication into the vein wall and causes the vein to collapse. In a few weeks to months, the vein is absorbed and disappears.
Diseases & Disorders Treated
- The center of circulation is the heart, where the blood is carried away to feed organs and extremities and returns to the heart by veins. The deep veins in the legs carry 90 percent or a majority of the blood back to the heart. These deep veins do not become varicose veins but could be the site of phlebitis (blood clots), which can move to the lungs causing a pulmonary embolism. The other 10 percent of the blood returns to the heart by the superficial veins which can become varicose veins.
- Varicose veins are enlarged, dilated, bulging and unsightly veins just below the surface of the skin. Statistics today demonstrate that between 30-40 percent of American women may be affected. The leading factors of varicose veins are family history and pregnancy. Other factors include physical inactivity, long periods of standing or sitting and the use of birth control pills.
- Varicose veins impair circulation and can result in symptoms such as heaviness, burning sensation, itching and cramping in the legs. These veins can also produce swelling and even ulcers. Today with advanced technology, doctors can offer a multitude of approaches to correct or alleviate these problems.
Edema, venous bleeding, ulcers, leg pain, cramping, restless legs, heaviness, and burning caused by underlying chronic venous insufficiency of lower extremities